Hillsboro High School's Parent Teacher Student Organization (PTSO) and Councilman Russ Pulley will update the community on construction developments at Hillsboro High School. The meeting, which will be held in the high school's library at 3812 Hillsboro Pike, begins at 6 p.m. Thursday.
Upon completion, the high school will have undergone a full renovation with a new library, cafeteria, kitchen, art spaces, outdoor courtyard areas, community room and enrollment center.
"I have been over there several times to see the project progress and they are moving along quite well," Pulley said. "I also understand we are on schedule and within budget."
Here are a few things to know ahead of Thursday's meeting:
What can residents expect out of construction over the next few months?
- Public Works plans to make signal improvements at Hillsboro High School’s new driveway across the street from the mall entrance. According to the project's contractor, the traffic signal design work at the new school entry off Hillsboro Pike is complete.
- Due to the traffic light's location, signal work is not planned to begin until after the holiday shopping season.
New north entrance
- Upcoming construction on the new north entrance off Glen Echo Road (aligning with Benham Road) will remove the last remaining practice field. This project will begin after football season.
- Crews will install fill at the old football field to raise the elevation of the finish grade for the new field
- Excavation for new sewer line in front of the existing school
- Door frame installations and more
What is the timeline?
Students will remain in the building along Hillsboro Pike during the 2018-19 school year, but Pulley anticipates that the new building will be ready for students by spring 2019. The first phase of the project will be complete.
Fall 2019-August 2020
Construction will begin on the front facility during the 2019-20 school year. The buildings portion of the project is expected to be complete by August 2020. Crews will then begin the final phase of reconstruction.
August 2020-Fall 2021
Following the completion of the buildings, Pulley says athletic fields and exterior projects will take another year to complete. The Hillsboro Burros, the school’s football team, will return to the new stadium in fall of 2021.
See the video of the Hillsboro High School Topping Out Ceremony here.